Monday, October 1, 2012

Have you ever held a Hummingbird in your hand?


Have you ever held a Hummingbird in your hand?

I should have known that with Hummingbird War Dance the title to my blog, my first post might include a hummingbird event. However, I could not have imagined that I would have a Hummer caught in my atrium window. Not only was he/she extremely pissed that the glass would succumb to his/her persistent pounding, but it refused to drop down only a matter of inches to exit through the open window. Instead it chose to perch on the top of the open window during its break from head butting the glass, and chirp in frustration.
I forgot Hummer’s love anything red, so he/she must have decided to check out the red vase on the window sill. I had left the window open while cleaning the hummingbird feeder, and upon my return I had a small visitor. After about tens of this circus and considerable exhaustion on the Hummer’s part, I was able to use my arm to force the poor hummer to the sill. Huddled tight against the glass, it seemed to know it had run out of options. So when I reached down to gently scoop it up, he/she showed no resistance.
The beautiful metallic green hood and back glistened in the early morning light. The dark black eyes starred back at me as I cupped the small warm body into my hand. The Hummer sat motionless as I slowly moved toward the open window. My hand had barely cleared the window when in a puff of feathers he/she soared up into the tree branches. A small breeze from its wings brushed across my palm, than gone from sight was my littlest of warriors. I held a Hummingbird in my hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment